Monday, February 16, 2009

A little mommy insight

Last night Jon packed up his bags and left to cover his first vacation out of the Grand Valley. I'm not the type of person who can spend too much time by myself, and lucky for me today was President's Day and everyone had the day off. So I loaded up Gavin and drove across the river to spend the day with my mom. I LOVE these kind of days. There is nothing better to me then sitting down with the television turned off and reminiscing about days gone by and getting a little mommy insight. You know the kind where you have heard a million people tell you the exact piece of advice but when it comes from the mouth of your mom it strikes a new cord and finally makes sense? That's exactly what I mean.
The last 6 months have been seriously rough on me. It's been a roller coaster ride from super exciting highs, to life altering lows. And my solution for dealing with these experiences has been to sweep them under the rug and pretend that everything is fine. Basically I deal with things by not dealing with things. I really just haven't been myself lately and I am pretty sure everyone has noticed.
I just had the opportunity today to make myself vulnerable to one of the few people in my life who I know love me unconditionally. She helped me pull out all the little dust bunnies that I've swept under the rug over the last 6 months and deal with them one by one. On my drive home tonight I knew exactly what I need to do in order to heal over and I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I am so grateful to have such a wonderful mom who has been the perfect example of what a mom should be: a friend and a mom. I'm so lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List